Flexible shingles: composition, features, expert opinion
Shingles are no longer a newcomer to the construction market, but many are still suspicious of them. You can find both successful examples of using a bituminous soft roof, and frankly failed ones. But the secret is simple - it all depends on the price and quality. Like any other product, shingles can be low-grade, but if you want, you can find material that will show you all its merits.
What is shingles
Flexible shingles are a modern roofing material, the ancestor of which is roofing material, which was popular in Soviet times. Thanks to the improved composition of bitumen, it is many times superior to its ancestor in durability and reliability, but it retains its inherent ease of installation and waterproofing properties. Shingles are not supplied in rolls, but in strips with a scalloped edge, which allows them to mimic the appearance of conventional tiles.
With flexible shingles, you can easily afford a fancy roof
Having learned that flexible shingles are similar to roofing material, I considered it suitable only for a farm building or a summer residence, but not a residential building. But then several shops were built in the city with a roof made of bituminous tiles. I have been watching them for 7 years, but there are no changes in the appearance of the roof, even the difference in shades in the shade and under direct rays is imperceptible. In addition, during this time, in many television programs about repairs, this material was used in various alterations. Seeing them, I was finally convinced that shingles are not only practical, but also beautiful. Now I consider it as the most suitable option for repairing the roof of a summer kitchen. But there is one more thing - I always pick apples from this roof, since the largest branch of an apple tree hangs there. On the one hand, bituminous shingles are smooth (not wavy, like metal tiles on a house), on the other hand, they are rough (less chance of slipping), on the third, they lie on a solid base (no need to guess where to step). So on such a roof it will be definitely more convenient for me to conduct my annual apple hunt.
What are flexible shingles made of?
Shingles are a composite laminate in which each element has a clearly defined function.
Sometimes, instead of a film, the self-adhesive layer is covered with fine crumbs or powder, which also prevents sticking
- non-woven base, usually fiberglass of increased strength (sometimes cardboard or cellulose). Makes tiles geometrically stable, prevents stretching, acts as an internal reinforcement, prevents the formation of bubbles and waviness. Unlike cardboard, which was used in the USSR, fiberglass does not rot and does not swell from water, which made it possible to increase the durability of the roofing material;
- modified bitumen with additives to withstand elevated temperatures. It gives thickness to the material, protects the base, serves as an adhesive for monolithing the roof, provides the effect of healing "wounds" and waterproofing. Thanks to mineral fillers, it guarantees the required rigidity of the material;
- colored dusting from basalt chips, shale flakes, granular basalt. Creates a decorative effect, adds rigidity to the tile, provides impact resistance, protects bitumen from direct sunlight;
- bottom protective layer that prevents sheets from sticking to each other. It is carried out in the form of a film or finely ground sprinkling (for example, talc).
There is also flexible shingles with an additional layer of decorative coating, which is intended to increase the durability of the roofing material.
Table: technological properties of shingles
|Indicator||Ordinary tile "Icopal"||Ridge-eaves tile "Icopal"|
|Material weight, g / m2||4000±300||4200±300|
|Bitumen weight, g / m2||1550±250||1550±250|
|Breaking force, N / 50 mm|
|Relative extension, %|
|Heat resistance, aboutFROM||+90||+90|
|Peel strength (after fastening with a nail), N||150||150|
|Permissible loss of dressing, g||up to 0.5 ± -0.4||up to 0.5 ± 0.4|
These indicators differ for different manufacturers and model series of material..
Without flexible roofing material, it is simply impossible to realize such an original idea.
Video: how to determine the quality of shingles
Table: advantages and disadvantages of bituminous shingles
|Advantages of shingles||Disadvantages of shingles|
|A complete waterproofing of the roof is created by overlapping and gluing individual elements. All other types of coatings (except for liquid and welded euroruberoid) require separate moisture insulation, since there is always a gap between the fragments of the material, as well as between the material and the roof.||There are two types of shingles - with a continuous waterproofing layer and with a fragmentary one. For the first type, the substrate is really not needed, for the second it is obligatory.|
|Allows you to equip the roof of the most complex designer roof with a minimum amount of waste. For example, slate, profiled sheet metal, natural and polymer sand tiles cannot provide a high-quality covering of a domed and even pointed Gothic roof. And only flexible shingles are able to completely repeat all the curves of the roof, provide its hydro and thermal insulation and are guaranteed to serve for more than 30 years.||Shingles are only mounted on solid battens, while most other roofing materials are mounted on a slatted base. Therefore, you have to find additional money for OSB boards or moisture-resistant plywood, as well as spend time installing them.|
|Flexible shingles are 8.5 times lighter than clay and 8 times lighter than composite. The low weight of the material allows you to save money when arranging the rafter system and reduce the load on the foundation of the old house during its restoration, and if the house is new, implement the project with lower costs in terms of materials and labor days.||Compared to metal roofing, a soft roof is often still heavier. When restoring a roof from a metal profile or a seam roof with flexible shingles, it may be necessary to strengthen the rafters.|
|The material is suitable for various climatic zones (both the Far North and the subtropics). Due to the plasticity of the bituminous shingle, it retains its integrity even with a sharp change in temperature.||Laying and repairing the material is only possible at medium temperatures. If less than 5 aboutFlexible shingles can crack or break during the unwinding of the roll, so installation in autumn and winter is possible only with additional heating. In summer, at temperatures over 30 aboutThe bitumen is partially fused to the base, which strengthens the waterproofing of the roof, but makes it difficult to replace the fragment, for example, with a partially removed dressing.|
|In the heat, the roof finish becomes a little softer and due to this, "heals" small dents from hail. In the case of other materials, such deficiencies either persist or require replacement of the whole fragment (if the damage is so obvious that it can lead to the destruction of the material).||Despite the natural regeneration of the roof, it should not be exposed to excessive loads. For example, cleaning snow with a metal shovel and frequent walks on the roof at temperatures over 35 aboutC will lead to premature wear of the finishing material. If you are installing any kind of roof structures (solar panels, collectors), you need to protect the shingles so that the base legs do not make a deep dent in it.|
|Ease of repair - if necessary, you can replace a fragment of any size, since the material is easily cut. Any novice master can make a patch and strengthen it with a sealant.||If the roof is complex and there is a leak at the place of damage or water stagnation is possible, it is still better to contact a specialist. After all, if you do the patch incorrectly, the leak will intensify and the insulation under the roof will get wet.|
|Wind resistance due to strong adhesion to the substrate.||In mountainous regions, it is especially important to carry out the installation correctly. If the shingles are not installed in accordance with the instructions, they may not withstand the regular strong gusts of wind.|
|The material is fireproof, does not support combustion.||Despite the special additives that prevent the tiles from igniting, when a burning object hits the roof, it melts. Such a place requires subsequent repair.|
|A variety of shapes and a wide range of colors. The color of the sprinkles varies from cheerful blue to matte black and gold, and in addition, there are models with sprinkles in several shades.||The shade of bituminous shingles is never as bright as that of metal, it is always muted and restrained. Plus, cheap shingles can tarnish over time.|
Video: disadvantages of a bituminous roof
Types of shingles
The modern assortment of bituminous tiles, if not amazing, then definitely causes difficulties in choosing. The whole variety of options for this building material differs in:
- cutting method. The shape of the scalloped edge determines the decorative effect of the finished roof. To imitate ceramic tiles, models with hexagonal fragments are chosen, to create a shingle effect - with rectangular and square ones. Variants with rounded elements with different radius of curvature are also offered (models "beaver tail", "fish scales", rounded rectangles). They tend to resemble metal shingles of a similar shape;
Designers recommend choosing fish scale tiles for rounded roofs, and a dragon's tooth for hip roofs.
- colors. Dyed sprinkles can be dark and medium green, blue or blue, as well as any of the shades of red, blue and brown. The darkest tiles are of the color of Hawaiian sand, the lightest is golden beige. The color is not necessarily uniform, most often there is a transition from light to dark, which helps to enhance the impression of a three-dimensional pattern. But even with uniform filling, variations are possible, for example, the dressing can consist of a mixture of black and white granules;
The traditional red range in bituminous shingles is most widely represented
- thickness, which varies within 3-5 mm. Pay attention to it, because even for one manufacturer, tiles of different series may differ. And the thicker the material, the longer it will last;
- composition. Manufacturers can use a variety of bitumen modification methods (SBS is currently the best), fiberglass types, decorative dressing processing methods. As a rule, the exact recipe is kept secret. But fine and coarse-grained dressing is easy to distinguish by eye, as well as to see how the strip of material is protected from below.
Fine-grained dressing is now considered the best option for shingles, as it sinks deeper into the bitumen layer and is less likely to crumble. The bottom protective layer, ideally, should be a film, since fine sand remains on the adhesive layer even after a vacuum cleaner and reduces the degree of fixation during installation.
Copper shingles are often used to decorate buildings of a religious nature.
A separate category of roofing materials is a tile with a decorative layer of sheet metal, in fact, it is a combination of bitumen and metal tiles. Sometimes sellers refer to it as flexible, but it is important to understand that it does not have all the properties of this material, including anti-slip effect, self-healing, oxidation resistance.
Flexible shingles manufacturers
In order not to get into a mess, it is necessary to take into account not only the declared characteristics of the roofing material, but also its manufacturer. Among the most sought after brands:
- Docke PIE is a German manufacturer specializing in roofing and facade building materials since 2005. It has two factories in Russia, factories and representative offices throughout the CIS. Offers flexible shingles in low and medium price categories. The main "tricks" are the use of SBS-modified bitumen and a particularly strong anti-hurricane lock (gluing system to resist the wind). Guarantee up to 50 years;
The markings on the tiles indicate their origin
- Tegola ("Tegola") is an Italian trade mark with its own production in Russia. The products are resistant to chemical aerosols (important in gas-polluted cities) and temperature extremes from -70 to +110 aboutC. Provides a large selection in both appearance and price. There are varieties with copper and zinc-titanium alloy plates. Brand differences: the use of natural bitumen with subsequent enrichment with oxygen, its own technology for the production of fiberglass with an increase in strength by 30%, firing of mineral granulate. All this made it possible to maximize the resistance of the material to the external environment. Warranty 15-50 years;
Tegola fish scale shingles look great on a finished roof
- Katepal ("Katepal") - a Finnish manufacturer of bituminous products and a complete range of roofing accessories, has been on the market since 1949. Due to the high quality of products, it occupies a leading position in Eurasia. The tile is presented in 15 colors and 6 shapes, there are both budget and luxury series. Difference - branded SBS-modified bitumen with increased frost resistance;
"Katepal" - this kind of shingles is preferred by the majority of buyers
- Shinglas is a Lithuanian trademark from the Technonikol company with its own factories throughout Europe and in the Russian Federation. It has been known since 2002. The manufacturer offers one-, two- and even three-layer shingles. One of the chips is the "Western" slicing model with a non-standard size of hexagons. Differs in a wide range of models - 70 tones and 14 shapes. The assortment includes budgetary single-layer tiles under the Technonikol brand and more expensive ones under the Shinglas brand.
The Dragon Tooth model can be purchased under the brand name Technonikol or Shinglas
Many also highly rate the products of Tilercat, Roofshield, IKO, Ruflex, Gaf, Kerabit, Icopal.
How to choose soft roof tiles
Flexible shingles are not suitable only for flat roofs, with a slope of 12 degrees, they can already be used. The shape of the roof cannot be a contraindication: bituminous finish is perfectly combined with both simple single and gable, and with hip or multi-gable options.
The steeper the roof angle, the more ridges, valleys and level differences there are, the better bituminous shingles will suit you. No other material will provide you with a monolithic coating of complex surfaces.
If you also need a roofing piece of art, shingles are indispensable.
The purpose of the building also does not really matter. The only thing worth paying attention to is the warranty period. The most elite varieties are guaranteed for 60 years of service, the more budgetary versions are required to last 35 years, the cheaper ones only 15. If you want to make a roof on a luxury cottage, you should choose the option with a solid service life. If you need to cover a frame-panel cottage house, it is quite possible to do with flexible tiles from the middle price segment.
It is extremely difficult to distinguish between cheap and expensive flexible shingles on a finished roof, and with proper installation and careful operation, even their service life does not always differ noticeably.But in the elite segment, you can find models with more complex geometry, for example, fish scales or a beaver tail. Among the more affordable options are imitation shingles and a classic hexagon.
Take a closer look at the exhibition samples - low-quality material begins to "go bald" already in the store
If you have already decided on the color, shape, type and manufacturer, it's time to find out how to protect yourself from fakes. First of all, touch the material, try to bend it, rub it lightly with your hand. A quality product should not be too hard (try comparing several samples for softness). Sprinkling mineral chips with light pressure is also a bad sign. When buying, make sure that all packages have the same production date, because different batches differ in tone.
Roofing for bituminous shingles
To create the right roofing cake using soft tiles, you first need to decide on the purpose of the attic. If it will not be residential, it is enough to make a cold roof; insulated roof is better for the attic. Let's consider how these options differ:
- a cold roof made of soft tiles is the most budgetary and simple, it can be realized with your own hands. It is enough to remove the old roofing material and fill the finished crate with a continuous layer of OSB. A lining carpet is glued on top of it (if it is needed for this type of tile) and the tile itself is attached;
The simplest version of the roof without insulation can be easily mounted even on the old crate
- Insulated roofing made of soft tiles is more expensive and requires a more thoughtful approach. In particular, only a windproof membrane is attached to the finished crate (if the roof is new, it is laid on the rafters), and a counter-lattice is always made on top of it. Thus, a ventilation gap is provided for the breathing of wood, otherwise the rafters and lathing bars will begin to rot over time. It is important to use insulation that holds its shape well, as soft cotton wool can slide down.
In a roofing cake for a warm roof, it is extremely important to ensure ventilation of the under-roof space.
If, over time, you decide to make the attic residential, it will be very difficult to insulate from the inside, providing the cake with proper ventilation. Therefore, if such an opportunity exists, it is better to fix the wind barrier and counter-rails in advance, and the insulation and interior decoration will be mounted without problems later..
Features of installation of flexible shingles
Flexible shingles are positioned as an extremely easy-to-install material. Indeed, what other roof can be qualitatively mounted alone? But here, too, there are a number of nuances that it is better to pay attention to in advance.
Calculation of the amount and weight of the material
If you have ever dealt with roofing and even finishing materials, then you are used to throwing 20-30% of the stock on the required volume by default. The more complex the surface and the larger the format of the material, the more it goes into trimming. But for shingles, a 10% margin is enough, and for a simple roof - 5%..
This material is flexible and can easily bypass external / convex and internal / concave corners without cutting. And even if you need to cut off a piece of tape, you can easily apply it in the next row. Thanks to this, the installation is almost waste-free.
To calculate the area of u200b u200bthe roof, the simplest formulas from the school geometry course are used
It is easy to calculate the amount if your roof is two- or one-pitched without fractures, birdhouses, bay windows and other architectural elements. Roughly, the roof area can be calculated as twice the product of the width of the ramp and its length. This method is quite suitable if you need to decorate the barn. A residential building is usually covered with a more complex roof, so it is better to use a special online calculator here. It will help you take into account the length of the rafters, the angle of inclination of the roof, the dimensions of the base, etc. For a very complex roof, you will have to sum up the areas of all elements, referring to the drawing.
Knowing the roof area, you can calculate the total consumption of roofing material. Most often, a package of shingles is enough for 3 m2... It is enough to divide the area by 3 and you will receive the required number of packages. If you plan to arrange skylights, you can skip stocking or just round up the number. When finishing a solid roof, it is worth adding 1-2 packages.
For example, for a roof with an area of 100 m2 with roof windows, you will need 100/3 ≈ 34 packs of bituminous tiles with a total weight of 34 * 23 kg (average weight of a single-color material with a thickness of 3.2 mm). We get 782 kg of load from the roofing material. Use the weight indicated on the package, as it varies not only with the thickness of the tiles, but also with different types of dressing.
If, after installing the shingles, you have 1–2 teeth trimmings, do not throw them away - they will help you to perform urgent repairs when the need arises. The patch and bitumen sealant will help restore the functionality and aesthetics of the roof in 15 minutes without calling the masters.
Minimum roof slope for shingles
As already mentioned, shingles can be used already with a roof slope of 12about... For a completely flat roof, it is better to choose an euroruberoid, which is easy to find in the same color scheme. This is convenient when only part of the roof is flat, for example, with an exit from the bedroom.
But there are no restrictions on the maximum slope; even the spire of a decorative turret can be decorated with bituminous tiles.
Bituminous shingles performed well even on concave roofs with a high risk of stagnant water
How to install shingles
Installation of shingles is carried out in the following order.
- Construction of the lathing. For a soft roof, an ordinary sparse lathing is made (you can leave the old one during reconstruction), but immediately it is covered with sheet material - moisture-resistant plywood, chipboard, OSB, and, if necessary, also a waterproofing membrane.
The sheathing for flexible shingles is made two-layer - the usual sparse structure, closed on top with a solid surface of plywood or OSB sheets
- Installation of droppers, ventilation elements and valleys.
- Installation of flexible tiles. On the prepared rough roof, strips of tiles are laid in layers with an overlap in the direction from bottom to top. First, they are fixed on a glue base, and then additionally fixed with roofing nails.
The elements of the bituminous tile are fixed on an adhesive base and then fixed with nails
- Laying special elements on skates and aprons around chimneys.
The final finished roof is considered after 1-2 days in the heat, when the adhesive backing partially melts and the roof forms a monolith.
As you can see, the work is extremely simple, but experienced craftsmen note a number of nuances.
- Even the products of a good manufacturer may differ slightly in tone in different batches. Therefore, before installation, you need to open several packages and take the material one by one. Even if the color is noticeably different, you will not have a pronounced shade transition on different parts of the roof.
- Do not skimp on nails - take galvanized or polymer-coated ones. Only these fasteners are guaranteed not to rust, so you will prevent roof leaks after a few years. If the range of stores does not allow this condition to be met, at least cover the nails with paint with a rust converter from a spray can or a spray bottle.
- Don't overdo it by hammering nails into the shingles. If a deep dent is created, softening the material may cause the nail to sink altogether and no longer hold the shingles in place. A large number of such errors will lead to the roof sliding down over time.
- Correct laying of the first line is the key to the beauty of the entire roof. The bottommost strip of shingles must be fixed absolutely evenly, even if it takes a lot of time. Then your drawing will not float and the whole finish will look harmonious.
- Slight shedding of decorative granules during installation is normal. If, after three months of operation, there are no crumbs in the gutters, then a tile of decent quality was used.
The correct installation can be checked in the rain or simply by watering the roof with a hose. If everything is done without mistakes, the water will quickly enter the gutter and will not stagnate anywhere.
Video: installation of flexible shingles
How to extend the life of shingles
Each manufacturer determines the warranty period for the maintenance-free operation of shingles in laboratory conditions. Usually, the service life directly depends on the price - the more expensive, the longer. Typical rates: 20 years for the budget class to 60 years for the elite series.
When buying, make sure that you are given a completed warranty card and rules for the operation of the material.
In order for your tile to serve as long as possible, it is worth adhering to a number of rules:
- go to the roof only in shoes with soft soles;
- do not do any work on the roof on very hot and very cold days, so as not to damage the coating;
- timely remove leaves, debris and snow applied to the roof using only plastic tools and being careful;
- if water begins to accumulate in the concave part of the roof and moss appears, you need to remove the plants and treat this place with a special preparation.
The durability of the roof is largely influenced by the intensity of solar radiation, wind loads, rainfall and similar climatic factors.... Therefore, even adhering to all the above rules, the inhabitants of the northern and southern regions will not be able to ensure the safety of the material as effectively as the inhabitants of regions with a temperate climate.
Where else can you use shingles
Often, flexible tiles are used to trim not only the roof, but also the gables of the house. On vertical surfaces, it keeps no worse and just as effectively protects the wall from moisture. The only caveat is that cheap tiles may not work here. It uses a more fluid bitumen, which will slide down over time. Therefore, for verticals, you need to take material from at least the middle price category.
Finishing the gables with flexible tiles allows you to visually enlarge the roof several times
In Europe, roofing materials are traditionally used for finishing facades, so bituminous shingles did not escape the same fate. Very often, two opposite walls and the roof are finished with the same soft coating, and the remaining walls are highlighted with a contrasting color and texture. It looks like the house is hidden under a blanket. Best of all, this technique is combined with architectural minimalism, a classic house under a hip roof with such a decor looks slightly alien.
Flexible tiles with imitation brick layout are a universal option for any facade
Once in "Dachny Answer" I saw how the designers used bitumen tiles with the "dragon's tooth" profile inside the room to decorate the space under the stairs. There she worked to combine the interior and exterior, creating the feeling of being in the open air along with a garden bench and a floor lamp in the form of a city lantern. This tandem looked very harmonious. Of course, in an apartment such a decor would be inappropriate, but you can decorate the wall on an open veranda. Especially if the wind constantly blows raindrops onto this wall - it will turn out to be practical and beautiful.
Reviews of shingles
If you are still worried that shingles will light up like a torch in the presence of external sources of fire, read the review of the master.
If you are tired of the stuffiness in the attic or the drumming sounds of rain drops, pay attention to the opinion of the tenant under the roof of Shinglas tiles.
Do not trust the workers - know that it is difficult to screw up with this material.
If you want to save money, do it wisely and reasonably.
Now you can easily pick up a really high-quality flexible tile that will last much longer than slate or ondulin.
Roofing material tiles: types, descriptions, advantages
The comfort of your country house depends to a large extent on the reliability of the roof. In the modern world, there are many options for roofing that will confidently protect summer cottages from unwanted floods. One of the most popular roofing materials is naturally considered to be a tile, which successfully combines decorativeness with functionality. Our article will provide you with the necessary information about the existing types of shingles, their advantages and disadvantages. The choice is yours!
When deciding in favor of a certain type of tile, one should take into account the climatic features of the area, the type of building, as well as your own preferences and financial capabilities. We will help you make your choice by carefully considering each modification of this roofing material.
Types of flat roofs
According to the method of use, flat roofs are divided into:
By design features, there are:
- breathable roofs.
Separation factors by method of use affect the choice of building materials and the method of erecting the structure of a one-story house. Cottages with a flat exploited roof require the use of reinforced materials for the construction of walls, since the main load will be on the supporting structure.
On the operated roof, they are erected:
- recreation area, terrace
- green lawn
- sports section
A massive base made of timber, aerated concrete, reinforced concrete and bricks or cinder block will protect the house from heavy loads during operation.
Projects with an unexploited roof can be created on the basis of lightweight frame structures
And you should also pay attention to the climate. In northern regions, frame structures may not withstand harsh weather conditions
Unexploited roofs are covered with filler hermetic materials. For movement, ladders or bridges are mounted.
Advice! Pouring polymer solutions have high waterproofing properties. Therefore, on such a roof, you can equip a pool.
Installation of a flat roof of a one-story cottage begins with a layer-by-layer arrangement of hydro, thermal and vapor insulation, a sandwich is formed. The peculiarity of the traditional flat roof is that the waterproofing layer is on top of the sandwich. The upper bituminous layer is called soft.
The disadvantage of this design is that the upper layer is influenced by solar UV radiation and weather changes. In summer, bituminous mastic dissolves and spreads. In winter, during frosts, the coating cracks. In spring, when it is still frosty at night and the sun is shining during the day, the waterproofing layer collapses. Water begins to penetrate the cracks.
A bituminous coating requires a thorough inspection every year and, if necessary, repairs.
Elements of a traditional roofing sandwich:
- reinforced concrete floor - base
- vapor barrier
- thermal insulation coating
- expansion coupler
- bottom and top layer of bituminous roll coating.
The project of a one-story house with a flat inverted roof structure is developed based on the sad experience of the classic. The layers were turned over, reinforced with two layers of screed, increasing the service life.
Inversion roofing sandwich elements:
- reinforced concrete slab - floor
- screed from bitumen emulsion primer
- waterproofing carpet
- geotextile covering
- moisture resistant waterproofing with a rough top layer
- ballast or gravel layer.
Breathable roofs can be traditional or inverted in design. Aerators or deflectors are installed as an additional ventilation layer. This helps to provide adequate ventilation in the room.
Rating of the best manufacturers of roof tiles
|The best manufacturers of shingles||1||Katepal||4.9|
|The best manufacturers of ceramic tiles||1||Roben||4.9|
|The best manufacturers of composite roof tiles||1||LUXARD||4.9|
|The best manufacturers of cement-sand tiles||1||Braas||4.9|
Performance characteristics and soft roof manufacturers
To date, there is no alternative to roll and membrane roofing materials. They come in a wide range of patterns and heights, from various manufacturers and will remain very popular in the coming years.
Among the proven brands, it should be noted such as the "Technonikol" membrane, flexible tiles of the brands "KATEPAL" and Shinglas, surfacing materials "Uniflex" and "Linokrom", and others.
Pattern and color of soft tiles
The main characteristics of roll materials
- Packaged in rolls of small width, which allows installation in any direction and on roofs of any complex configuration
- They have a long service life
- Increases sound insulation performance
- Installation does not require the purchase of expensive equipment and can be carried out in a house that is already used for living
- The materials are resistant to tearing as well as damage caused by adverse weather conditions.
Composite roof tiles
Unlike metal tiles, this type of flexible roof is covered with additional protective layers. The composite is based on a sheet of steel with a thickness of 0.4 to 0.6 mm. It is coated on both sides with an aluminum-zinc alloy. This layer protects the steel from corrosion. The alloy is coated with an acrylic primer to increase adhesion with the next layer - a protective acrylic compound. A granulate is applied to it - a crumb of natural stone and the whole is completed with a transparent acrylic glaze. The last three layers are applied only to the outside of the sheet.
The granulate gives the composite the appearance of a natural tile and significantly reduces the noise level from precipitation. Glaze is a versatile protective material that protects against virtually any impact.
Composite tiles serve for at least 50 years and weigh a little more than metal tiles - about 6.5 kg per square meter.
This coating is fireproof, resistant to temperature extremes and is not afraid of ultraviolet radiation. The variety of colors allows you to choose a coating for every taste.
Ordering metal roofing: prices for installation work
If you hire specialists, you will have to spend additional funds. The price for work on the installation of metal tiles per m2 is presented in the table.
Table 1. Average cost of works on the installation of metal tiles
|the name of the operation||Price in rubles|
|Installation of roofing on roofs of simple configuration per square meter||230|
|Installation of roofs on roofs of complex configuration per square meter||270|
|Waterproofing device with ventilation and lathing per square meter||180|
What determines the choice of roof
The choice of the type of roofing is influenced by the following factors:
- Loads to be borne by the roof. They take into account precipitation, wind strength, and the geographic region of residence.
- Roof configuration and slope also determine the type of roof.
- Durability, strength, resistance of the coating to moisture and open fire.
- The ability to retain heat, sound insulation qualities.
- Aesthetic component.
- Quality, price, brand, warranty period.